AB de Villiers denies he tried to force his way into South Africa’s World Cup squad

first_imgAB de Villiers denies he tried to force his way into South Africa’s World Cup squadAB de Villiers said he did no make any demands as the former South Africa batsman opened up on the reports of his comeback offer to play for his national side in the World Cup 2019.advertisement Next India Today Web Desk New DelhiJuly 12, 2019UPDATED: July 12, 2019 18:07 IST Former South Africa cricketer AB de Villiers had announced retirement from in 2018. (Reuters Photo)HIGHLIGHTSAB de Villiers broke his silence on allegations that he offered to comeback for World Cup 2019de Villiers has issued a statement to bring out the story on his partThe former South Africa batsman said he had made no demandsFormer South Africa batsman AB de Villiers has, at last, broken his silence on the allegations that he had offered to comeback from retirement to play for the Proteas in the World Cup 2019.De Villiers has put out a detailed statement on his official Twitter account where the wicketkeeper-batsman has claimed that he ‘did not try to force ‘ his way into the World Cup and he had offered himself only ‘if required’.Earlier, reports had surfaced in media that AB de Villiers had expressed his desire to return to international team just 24 hours ahead of South Africa’s World Cup squad announcement.Reportedly, de Villiers approached Faf du Plessis and coach Ottis Gibson expressing his desire to feature in the squad for the quadrennial tournament in England but the skipper other important members of management had informed de Villers that such a move was not possible.Following is the statement de Villiers issued on Twitter.”Now the Proteas’ World Cup campaign is over, and the team cannot be distracted, I would like to respond to unjustified criticism of me during the tournament””I continue to be asked to comment on the disclosure, and distortion, of a private conversation that took place just before the squad was announced and, for the benefit of anyone who may have felt let down, would like to explain what happened.pic.twitter.com/ahCQBPEo2XAB de Villiers (@ABdeVilliers17) July 12, 2019″First, I announced my retirement from international cricket in May 2018 because I wanted to reduce my workload and spend more time with my wife and young sons. Some have insisted I was motivated purely by money. They are wrong. In truth, I have turned down many lucrative offers to play around the world, and have cut the time spent away from home each year from eight months to just over three months.advertisement”During the weeks and months that followed, there was no formal contact between Cricket South Africa or the Proteas and me. I didn’t call them, and they didn’t call me. I had made my decision and the Proteas moved on, enjoying success under the expert guidance of coach Ottis Gibson and the outstanding captaincy of Faf du Plessis. Faf and I have been friends since we were at school together and, two days before the World Cup squad was announced, I contacted him for a chat.”I had been in decent form during the Indian Premier League and casually repeated what I had said when asked a year earlier, that I was available if required… but only if required. I made absolutely no demands at all.”I certainly did not try to force my way into the World Cup squad on the eve of the tournament, and did not expect to be included. There was no burning issue from my side, and no sense of injustice.”Then, out of the blue, on the evening after the Proteas lost to India, suffering a third successive World Cup defeat, elements of our private conversation were disclosed to the media, and distorted to cast me in the worst possible light.””The story was not leaked by me, or anybody associated with me, or by Faf. Maybe someone wanted to deflect criticism. I don’t know.”As a result, I was unfairly described as arrogant, selfish and indecisive but, with all humility, my conscience is clear. I retired for honest reasons and, when asked if I could be available for the World Cup, agreed to keep the door open.”In the event, understandably, the team moved on. No problem. I am not angry with anybody. Now, at this stage of my life, I would like to continue spending time with my family and to play in selected T20 tournaments in SA and around the world.”I have been massively proud to have played for, and indeed captain, my country on the cricket field. My relationships with the Proteas players remain as strong as ever, and I will always be available to support and assist the next generation.”Lastly, in stating my side of this unpleasant and unnecessary saga, I want to stress my continuing support for the team and the game that has shaped my life and provided me with so many lasting friendships and incredible opportunities.”Also Read | AB de Villiers called me before World Cup selection but it was too late: Faf du PlessisAlso Read | South Africa rejected AB de Villiers’ offer to come out of retirement for World Cup swansongAlso SeeFor sports news, updates, live scores and cricket fixtures, log on to indiatoday.in/sports. Like us on Facebook or follow us on Twitter for Sports news, scores and updates.Get real-time alerts and all the news on your phone with the all-new India Today app. Download from Post your comment Do You Like This Story? Awesome! Now share the story Too bad. Tell us what you didn’t like in the comments Posted byAnita Jat Tags :Follow World Cup 2019last_img read more

Read More →

Defeat to India due to feud among players unhappiness with captain

first_imgKarachi: Pakistan’s humiliating defeat to India in a World Cup game in England was due to feud among players and their unhappiness with captain Sarfaraz Ahmed, local media reported Monday. A defeat to arch-rivals India is always difficult to digest for the passionate Pakistani cricket community anywhere in the world and particularly when it is in a World Cup. A day after the defeat in Manchester on Sunday, the media here ran stories about groupings in the team and how some players wanted to topple the captain. Also Read – Djokovic heaps praise on ‘very complete’ MedvedevThe ‘Samaa’ news channel reported that soon after he got out, Sarfaraz allegedly lost his cool in the dressing room and accused some players including Imad Wasim and Imam-ul-Haq, of forming a group against him and not supporting him. The ‘Duniya’ news channel did a similar report about how there were different groups in the team — one led by Muhammad Aamir and another led by Imad — which were letting Sarfaraz down. After the defeat to Australia, a well-known actor and cricket fan had released a voice message on the social media where he blamed Shoaib Malik, Imad, Inam and Babar among others of forming a group against Sarfaraz which had led to problems in the team. Some newspapers on Monday also hinted at internal problems within the team. Also Read – Mary Kom enters quarterfinals, Saweety Boora bows out of World C’shipsBut when PTI contacted two players in the Pakistan team, they denied any groupings but confirmed that Sarfaraz returned to the dressing room very angry and let go at some players. “But it was more out of frustration and I don’t recall him blaming anyone or talking about groupings in the team but he did say the players needed to give more,” the player said on condition of anonymity. He insisted that all the players were heartbroken and depressed after the defeat to India but had not given up hope of qualifying for the semi-finals. “Even after we lost to Australia we had meetings to encourage each other and to discuss the areas where we had gone wrong. But when you are not doing well we tend to see these speculative stories in Pakistan media,” he said. Some former players have also hinted at problems in the team but former captain Moin Khan said it was the duty of the Pakistan Cricket Board to back its management. “It is normal in our country that when the team is not doing well in a major event or otherwise there is always talk about problems in the dressing room,” he said. Moin said he fully backed Sarfaraz although key mistakes were made against Australia and India. “The point of concern is that our fielding and catching standards have been very shoddy and that has not helped,” he said.last_img read more

Read More →