Six months after editor’s murder, authorities warned that incomplete trial will not be accepted

first_img Organisation Receive email alerts April 28, 2021 Find out more July 18, 2007 – Updated on January 20, 2016 Six months after editor’s murder, authorities warned that incomplete trial will not be accepted News Help by sharing this information TurkeyEurope – Central Asia Reporters Without Borders today voiced its support for the demands of the family, friends and colleagues of Hrant Dink, a newspaper editor of Armenian descent who was gunned down in Istanbul exactly six months ago on 19 January 2007.“We call on the authorities to pursue their investigation and to shed light on all aspects of this case,” the press freedom organisation said. “The trial of Dink’s alleged murderers that opened on 2 July in Istanbul and is due to have its next hearing on 1 October, is a crucial test for the Turkish judicial system. Its independence is at stake here.”Reporters Without Borders added: “We will not be satisfied with a trial in which only some of those responsible for Dink’s murder are in the dock. All those who played a role must be identified including, if necessary, those who work for the security services. It is essential that the judicial system should expose the various connections between military, police and other officials that may have been involved in this case.”Reporters Without Borders went to Istanbul for the opening of the trial and saw the size of the demonstration outside. “We are all witnesses and we want justice,” said one of the banners displayed by the many demonstrators gathered outside the courthouse.Born in 1954, Dink was the editor of the weekly Agos, Turkey’s leading Armenian newspaper. For years he had been urging his fellow citizens to face up to the issue of the Armenian genocide in 1915. Although the target of threats and accusations, he always refused to leave Turkey.He said in his last interview: “It is here that I want to pursue the fight, because it is not just my fight, it is the fight of all those who want Turkey to be democratised. If I give up and leave the country, it will be a shame for everyone. My ancestors lived in this country, it is here that I have my roots, and I have the right to die in the country where I was born.”The 18 defendants are all from Trabzon, a Black Sea city with a reputation for ultra-nationalist violence. The youngest defendant, Ogün Samast, 17, is the one who is alleged to have fired the shots that killed Dink. The two defendants who allegedly got him to do it, Erhan Tuncel and Yasin Hayal, face life imprisonment. The other 15 defendants are charged with complicity. to go further April 2, 2021 Find out more Human rights groups warns European leaders before Turkey summitcenter_img News Turkey’s never-ending judicial persecution of former newspaper editor Follow the news on Turkey News April 2, 2021 Find out more RSF_en News TurkeyEurope – Central Asia Journalists threatened with imprisonment under Turkey’s terrorism lawlast_img read more

Read More →

Donegal campaign against proposed Road User Charge to escalate in coming weeks

first_img Facebook News A delegation from the Donegal Truckers Group will head to Stormont and the Dail in the coming weeks, to express concerns over the proposed Road User Charge.That’s according to the groups spokesperson Christopher Gallagher, who was speaking following a meeting in Letterkenny on Sunday afternoon.From April the 1st, hauliers in the south will have to pay a 10 pound tax each time they enter Northern Ireland.The meeting, described by Mr Gallagher as ’emotive’ and ‘constructive’, was attending by over 100 people, including councillors and politicians from both sides of the border.Mr Gallagher stated that they will consider boycotting the charge as a last resort, however they are hopeful that an agreement can be reached between now and April…[podcast]http://www.highlandradio.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/02/chr6.mp3[/podcast] Guidelines for reopening of hospitality sector published RELATED ARTICLESMORE FROM AUTHOR Google+ WhatsApp Calls for maternity restrictions to be lifted at LUH Google+ NPHET ‘positive’ on easing restrictions – Donnelly WhatsApp 448 new cases of Covid 19 reported today center_img Pinterest Twitter Pinterest Three factors driving Donegal housing market – Robinson Twitter Facebook Help sought in search for missing 27 year old in Letterkenny Previous articleUlster Senior League PreviewNext articleMan charged in relation to Buncrana burglaries News Highland Donegal campaign against proposed Road User Charge to escalate in coming weeks By News Highland – February 16, 2014 last_img read more

Read More →

Operation scaled back in search for missing Wisconsin girl due to declining number of tips

first_imgiStock/Thinkstock(BARRON, Wis.) — Authorities are scaling back operations in the search for missing Wisconsin 13-year-old Jayme Closs due to a declining number of tips, the sheriff said Thursday.Jayme was abducted and her parents were shot dead at their rural Wisconsin home in October, prompting a massive investigation by federal, state and local authorities.The majority of the 2,100 tips received by the Barron County Sheriff’s Department have been closed, the department said Wednesday.“As of today, we have transitioned our Emergency Operations Center from a 24/7 reactive operation to a more deliberate and methodical effort to progress the investigation,” the sheriff’s office said in a statement Thursday. “This is based on a declining number of tips. However, we will continue to fully investigate those remaining tips and new information we receive going forward.”“Just because the posture of our operations center has transitioned, does not mean the tips should stop,” the sheriff’s office stressed.The case was ignited in the early hours of Oct. 15, when Jayme’s parents, Denise and James Closs, were found shot dead at their home in Barron.Police had responded to the house that morning after a strange 911 call. No one spoke on the call but a dispatcher could hear yelling, according to records.Jayme was believed to be home at the time of the killings but had been abducted by the time police arrived, according to authorities.She is considered missing and endangered, authorities said.“Not a moment goes by when we aren’t thinking of you and praying for you,” Jayme’s aunt, Jennifer Smith, said in a message to her niece at a news conference last week. “We all love you to the moon and back and we’ll never stop looking for you.”Anyone with information is asked to contact the tip line at 855-744-3879 or [email protected] © 2018, ABC Radio. All rights reserved.last_img read more

Read More →