Oil price fall hits granite city property market

first_imgWould you like to read more?Register for free to finish this article.Sign up now for the following benefits:Four FREE articles of your choice per monthBreaking news, comment and analysis from industry experts as it happensChoose from our portfolio of email newsletters To access this article REGISTER NOWWould you like print copies, app and digital replica access too? SUBSCRIBE for as little as £5 per week.last_img

Read More →

Trump says to restart rallies in Oklahoma, Florida, Arizona, N.Carolina

first_imgUS President Donald Trump said Wednesday that he will launch rallies soon in four states, including the battleground of Florida, signaling a rapid restart to his election campaign after it was stalled by the coronavirus pandemic.Trump said he’ll start in Oklahoma on Friday next week, before heading to Florida, Arizona and North Carolina.”We’re going to be starting our rallies. We believe the first one will probably be … in Oklahoma, Tulsa, Oklahoma. Beautiful new venue, brand new. They’re looking forward to it. They’ve done a great job with COVID, as you know,” he told reporters at the White House. Topics : “They’re all going to be big.”Raucous rallies have been a hallmark of Trump’s presidency and a key to energizing his base, which he hopes will turn out in big numbers on November 3. He is currently lagging in the polls against Democrat Joe Biden.Job approval for the president is also down after his response to the coronavirus pandemic and the recent turmoil over police brutality, sparked by the death of an unarmed black man during his arrest in Minneapolis.Although the coronavirus remains a threat, his campaign now feels that the crowds at daily street protests have lifted the political pressure on Trump to avoid large gatherings of his own.center_img Trump’s campaign has so far not detailed how it will respect health precautions in an arena setting.last_img read more

Read More →

Long road to gender equality in Indonesian Military

first_imgThe low number of women in the Indonesian Military (TNI) has hampered gender equality within the institution as mandated by the TNI Law, scholars and activists have said.Indonesian Defense University graduate Umi Farida, who wrote a thesis on women’s participation in the military, said the low number of female personnel in the force reflected inequality.According to the latest data from the TNI, 10 percent of the armed services personnel of some 450,000 are women. Topics : She said a recruitment process that was limited to men contributed to the gender imbalance, adding that the Indonesian Army Academy (Akmil) had not opened recruitment for female cadets in the past two years.Prospective female cadets, meanwhile, could only enroll in the Army through the non-commissioned officer candidate schools (Secaba), alumni of which were said to have a slimmer chance than their Akmil counterparts of being posted to key positions in the military.Another route for female soldiers to further their career is to enroll in the Army’s Officer Candidate School (Secapa), which is highly competitive among non-commissioned officers.“This hinders female personnel from serving in leadership positions or higher ranks,” Umi said during an online discussion on Thursday.center_img Read also: Indonesia Air Force gets first female fighter pilotOn the other hand, the Air Force Academy (AAU) and the Navy Academy (AAL) still recruit female cadets.Law No. 34/2004 on the TNI mandates the fulfillment of women’s rights as part of human rights, as the regulation requires the armed services to be developed professionally adhering to principles of democracy, human rights as well as other national and ratified international laws.The country has ratified the Convention on the Elimination of all Forms of Discrimination Against Women (CEDAW) through Law No. 7/1984. The regulation, however, does not stipulate gender mainstreaming efforts in the armed forces.Gender activist Adriana Venny, also a speaker in the discussion, said the military would need to improve to mainstream gender issues within the institution.Adriana, who is the coordinator of an NGO against gender-based violence, urged the TNI to apply a gender perspective in its policies, such as creating gender-based standard operating procedures as well as a gender-based curriculum in military education.”Women’s presence within the armed service can promote respect of human rights and gender equity,” she said.————Editor’s note: The article has been updated to clarify that only the Indonesia Army Academy (Akmil) no longer accepts female cadets.last_img read more

Read More →

Parcel of FNQ island can be yours for $1.8 million

first_imgZuna island, Torres Strait Pic : suppliedIT is fodder for the most outlandish of dreams: owning a parcel of an idyllic island off the Far North Queensland coast.But reveries could become a tropical reality for a bold investor.A 4050sq m slice of Zuna Island, near Thursday Island in the Torres Strait, is currently listed for $1.8 million.The beachfront property comprises a modern house and neighbouring bungalow, which together can sleep up to 10 people.“It’s not for everybody, but those who live up there absolutely love it – we’re looking for the right type of person, who has a sense of adventure and loves the Far North,” said Jillian Raleigh, selling agent for the property’s owner Russel Williams. Mr Williams was living in Kalgoorlie, Western Australia, when the idea of owning a Zuna Island property was born after seeing an advertisement on the internet.“There was nothing but a shack there. There were no services, power and water supply was non-existent,” he told News Corp Australia. “Even though it was pretty humble I saw the potential. I wanted an escape, a retreat.” The 1000ha island is accessible by air and water from Thursday Island and Horn Islands, both of which are nearby. More from newsCairns home ticks popular internet search terms3 days agoTen auction results from ‘active’ weekend in Cairns3 days agoThe property has a main residence and nearby bungalow.Both the main residence and bungalow are fully furnished.“The Torres Strait is Australia’s best-kept secret,” Mr Williams said.“There are more islands here than the Whitsundays, but fewer people. “It’s one of Australia’s best areas for fishing, snorkelling and diving. “The whole pace is so different; it’s laid-back, colourful and the people are so welcoming.“When people come and visit me here they see the wow factor.”It is understood several people have expressed interest in the property.The Zuna Island offering is among several islands off Queensland currently on the market. The Duke Group Archipelago, comprising three separate islands off Central Queensland, is listed for almost $12 million. For more information about the Zuna Island property visit zunaislandescape.com.au.last_img read more

Read More →

Expertise Hub VIDEO: A New Era with Post-Warranty Wind Turbines O&M (Van Dijk E-Projects)

first_imgSome 1,500 offshore wind turbines have come out of their warranty and, as the offshore wind farm developers/ owners are now responsible for keeping them up and running, this is a whole new era for the industry, according to Bert van Dijk, Business Advisor Offshore Wind from Van Dijk E-Projects. One of the best examples of this shift within the industry is probably the last year’s signing of a framework agreement between DONG Energy and Ziton, under which Ziton will provide services related to main component exchanges on out-of-warranty offshore wind turbines for the developer.At our Expertise Hub during Offshore Wind Energy 2017 in London, Bert van Dijk further discussed the offshore wind’s growth in terms of bigger components, large-scale projects and related vessel demand.We also touched upon the transferable knowledge from the oil & gas industry and some of the concepts that could be a part of the sector in the future.For more Expertise Hub interviews, visit Navingo’s Offshore WIND channel on Vimeo.last_img read more

Read More →

Covid-19 complications: WWE legend James ‘Kamala’ Harris dead aged 70

first_img Loading… Promoted Content10 Absurd Ideas That Made Their Inventors MillionsBest & Worst Celebrity Endorsed Games Ever Made2020 Tattoo Trends: Here’s What You’ll See This Year8 Shows You Didn’t Want To Watch At The End11 Most Immersive Game To Play On Your Table Top7 Breathtaking Train Stations Around The GlobeWho Earns More Than Ronaldo?Which Country Is The Most Romantic In The World?The Very Last Bitcoin Will Be Mined Around 2140. Read More8 Fascinating Facts About CoffeeWho Is The Most Powerful Woman On Earth?6 Interesting Ways To Make Money With A Drone WWE issued a statement late last night saying: “WWE is saddened to learn that James Harris, known to WWE fans as Kamala, has passed away at age 70. “Under the frightening face paint of Kamala, the 6-foot-7, 380-pound Harris battled the greatest Superstars in sports-entertainment history, including Hulk Hogan, The Undertaker and Andre the Giant. “He terrorized opponents and thrilled audiences in Mid-South, World Class Championship Wrestling, WCW and WWE until 2006. “WWE extends its condolences to Harris’ family, friends and fans.” read also:Asuka to face former UFC Star in a title match at WWE Summerslam Harris began his career as the Mississippi Mauler and Sugar Bear Harris. He later transformed into his Kamala character and enjoyed great success. But in recent years he has suffered from diabetes and needed to have both legs amputated during a series of health battles. FacebookTwitterWhatsAppEmail分享 center_img WWE legend James “Kamala” Harris has died aged 70. The former powerhouse starred for Vince McMahon’s wrestling company during the late 1980s and early 90s. However, he has now passed away after complications from coronavirus. His autobiography’s co-author, Kenny Casanova, wrote on Facebook: “Just got off the phone. “Unfortunately, the rumors were correct. To make matters worse, it was Corona that took him; he was one of the good ones. “Kamala was one of the most believable monsters in wrestling. “He played the role perfectly but was also one of the nicest guys you could meet. “In helping him get his book out there, we became pretty close over the years and I am happy to have been his friend…”Advertisementlast_img read more

Read More →

Haidara escapes serious injury

first_imgNewcastle defender Massadio Haidara has escaped serious injury from Wigan forward Callum McManaman’s horror tackle last weekend, the club have announced. The Magpies feared the worst when the 20-year-old Frenchman was carried off on a stretcher last weekend after a knee-high challenge – which Newcastle have branded “dangerous”. However, after a number of examinations this week the news is better than expected, and a club statement said: “We can confirm that results of the latest scan on Massadio Haidara show that the player has very fortunately escaped any significant bone or ligament damage following the dangerous tackle by Wigan Athletic’s Callum McManaman on Sunday.” The statement continued: “We are very pleased that the extent of his injury is less severe than first feared and is limited to bruising to the bone and soft tissue damage. “Depending on the speed of his recovery, he should be fit to play again in early April. “Massadio will continue to be assessed over the coming days. “He has been very lucky that he has not suffered more serious injury and this positive diagnosis in no way lessens the club’s views with regard to the severity of the tackle from which it resulted.” McManaman escaped punishment for the tackle as it was seen by a match official, meaning the Football Association could not retrospectively ban the player using video evidence. center_img Press Associationlast_img read more

Read More →

Shelvey reaction impresses Monk

first_img “Jonjo’s in good form and had a very good month, he’s showing bits of what we know he can do and what we’re pushing him to do,” Monk said ahead of in-form Liverpool’s league visit to the Liberty Stadium. “You have to look at it as a response [to the criticism] because of his performance levels. “He’s done very well over the last month, but he contributed before that anyway. “The performances were probably a bit more patchy then, but in the last month his game has been more complete. “Hopefully he’ll continue that and get better because there’s a lot more to come from Jonjo. “It’s trying to get that out of him, it’s about him maturing because he’s still a young player and see what he can do going forward.” Swansea’s first game after Monk criticised Shelvey was a 4-1 defeat at Liverpool and the 23-year-old had an unhappy return to Anfield. Shelvey failed to track Adam Lallana for Liverpool’s third goal before heading into his own net and there was even worse to come when he received a retrospective four-game ban for flinging an arm into the face of Emre Can, the Football Association handing out the suspension after an earlier red card at Everton in November. But Shelvey’s fortunes took a turn for the better when he scored a venomous winner at Southampton at the start of February while playing in the number 10 role and he has since sparkled in Monk’s new diamond formation. The once-capped England international shone in back-to-back victories over Manchester United and Burnley and Monk believes the new system suits Shelvey’s passing ability and attacking instincts. “I think it’s helped him,” Monk said. “He’s taken on the challenge really well and it’s good to see. “He’s knuckled down this month and shown a real good level of performance, and now Jonjo must make sure he finishes the season as strong as possible. “He knows it’s still a long way to go for him, there’s still lot of improvement to come and it’s good to see he’s pushing himself. “I know how much Jonjo is fond of Liverpool, he always wants to show he can do well and hopefully he can do that on Monday night.” Monk took the unusual step of singling out an individual for criticism in December when he told Shelvey to “wise up” and said that he would not tolerate his “laziness” any more. But Shelvey, who has a reunion with former club Liverpool on Monday night, has flourished in a new-look Swansea formation in recent weeks and was nominated for February’s Barclays Premier League player-of-the-month award won by Tottenham striker Harry Kane. Press Association Swansea manager Garry Monk believes Jonjo Shelvey has shown the right response after criticising the player in public earlier this season.last_img read more

Read More →

Chelsea duo complete loan moves

first_imgHighly-rated Chelsea midfielder Josh McEachran’s loan move to Swansea has been formally completed, while Patrick van Aanholt has been loaned to Dutch side Vitesse Arnhem.McEachran was wanted by a host of clubs but was keen to link up with Swansea manager Brendan Rodgers, who worked with him at Chelsea.Van Aanholt, meanwhile, is on the move again having recently returned from a loan spell at Wigan.AdChoices广告Both loan deals are until the end of the season.Follow West London Sport on TwitterFind us on Twitterlast_img

Read More →